arachnode.net
An Open Source C# web crawler with Lucene.NET search using SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016/CE An Open Source C# web crawler with Lucene.NET search using MongoDB/RavenDB/Hadoop

Completely Open Source @ GitHub

Does arachnode.net scale? | Download the latest release

Arachnode.Plugins.dll could not be found

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
7 Posts
RogerB2009 posted on Mon, Jul 12 2010 7:40 PM

Hello, I'm having a little problem. After the initial install, when I try to rebuild the application as instructed, I am running into an error stating that file Metadata file ~plugins\bin\Debug\Arachnode.Plugins.dll could not be found. Where can I find this .dll file? Or is this something that I am to create myself? I am using Visual Studio 2010

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
1,905 Posts
Verified by RogerB2009

Can you post a screen capture of the error?

Try rebuilding the Plugins project first.

Try downloading a fresh copy of the source - I have a feeling 'something' was changed.

For best service when you require assistance:

1. Check the DisallowedAbsoluteUris and Exceptions tables first.
  2. Cut and paste actual exceptions from the Exceptions table.
  3. Include screenshots.

Top 10 Contributor
1,905 Posts
Verified by arachnode.net

Do you have this problem too?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/clr/thread/8c088b30-fe85-46e3-9506-50819ed3a7c8/

Which OS are you running?  If you are using Windows 2003, try re-installing SP2.

I just happened to have a cache of Win2003 machines at different SP levels, and I can get your 'Metadata' error on Win2003 R2 SP1.  Installing SP2 fixed the build.

3. Include screenshots.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
1,905 Posts

Which project is this coming from?  Did you change any of the references?  You are using the DEMO, correct?

Try rebuilding the Plugins project first.  VS2010 may have a bug.  (I have seen more than my fair share...)

-Mike

3. Include screenshots.

Top 75 Contributor
7 Posts

This error occurs whenever I try to build the project as a whole or when I try to just build the console project. As far as changing any of the references,  I don't think the instructions mentioned anything about this, at least not outside of changing things within the database. I actually have purchased a copy of the full licensed version. I don't know if I accidentally downloaded the DEMO version or not.

Top 10 Contributor
1,905 Posts
Verified by RogerB2009

Try rebuilding the Plugins project first.

Try downloading a fresh copy of the source - I have a feeling 'something' was changed.

3. Include screenshots.

Top 75 Contributor
7 Posts

I will download another copy of the source to see what happens Thanks. I also have tried twice to post a screenshot of the error but I can't get that to work either.

Top 10 Contributor
1,905 Posts

What is the error you receive when trying to post a screenshot?

Or, are you not allowed to upload a pic?  You should be able to.

3. Include screenshots.

Top 10 Contributor
1,905 Posts

What build configuration?  debug, demo, release?

stackoverflow has this to say: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/329142/metadata-file-could-not-be-found-error-when-building-projects

Look for yellow exclamation marks on the references... also, ensure that the Plugins project is actually being built.

3. Include screenshots.

Top 10 Contributor
1,905 Posts
Verified by arachnode.net

Do you have this problem too?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/clr/thread/8c088b30-fe85-46e3-9506-50819ed3a7c8/

Which OS are you running?  If you are using Windows 2003, try re-installing SP2.

I just happened to have a cache of Win2003 machines at different SP levels, and I can get your 'Metadata' error on Win2003 R2 SP1.  Installing SP2 fixed the build.

3. Include screenshots.

Top 75 Contributor
7 Posts

I am not getting an error when trying to post the screenshot, When I copy the screenshot and then try to paste it, the image does not appear. I am using Windows 2003 and I will install SP2. If this works along with all of the other suggestions in this post, I will then mark this post as resolved.

Top 10 Contributor
1,905 Posts

Click the circled link to upload an image to the forum.

Let me know if the service pack fixes the build for you.  Big Smile

Thanks,
Mike

3. Include screenshots.

Top 75 Contributor
7 Posts

Mike,

The Picture of the error is below. I've installed SP2 and this did not fix the error. I think that I did download the files for the DEMO version. I've since re-downloaded the source files, but I can't extract all of the files because it keeps telling me that one of the files is password protected. It askes me for the password, but I don't have it ofcourse. I have the screenshot for that error posted below also.

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
1,905 Posts

None of the files in AN are password protected.  Try dragging and dropping from the actual folder, rather than using the wizard.

This feels like something is wrong with your OS.

Look at sfc to see that your OS is in tact:

System File Checker (sfc)

Scans and verifies the versions of all protected system files after you restart your computer.

Syntax

sfc [/scannow] [/scanonce] [/scanboot] [/revert] [/purgecache] [/cachesize=x]

Top of pageTop of page

Parameters

/scannow : Scans all protected system files immediately.

/scanonce : Scans all protected system files once.

/scanboot : Scans all protected system files every time the computer is restarted.

/revert : Returns the scan to its default operation.

/purgecache : Purges the Windows File Protection file cache and scans all protected system files immediately.

/cachesize=x : Sets the size, in MB, of the Windows File Protection file cache.

/? : Displays help at the command prompt.

Top of pageTop of page

Remarks

You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc.

If sfc discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder becomes corrupt or unusable, use sfc /scannow, sfc /scanonce, or sfc /scanboot to repair the contents of the Dllcache directory.

Top of pageTop of page

Formatting legend

Format Meaning

Italic

Information that the user must supply

Bold

Elements that the user must type exactly as shown

Ellipsis (...)

Parameter that can be repeated several times in a command line

Between brackets ([])

Optional items

Between braces ({}); choices separated by pipe (|). Example: {even|odd}

Set of choices from which the user must choose only one

Courier font

Code or program output

3. Include screenshots.

Top 75 Contributor
7 Posts

Ok I've got the .dll issue resolved. I think the issue was that I had the DEMO source code version and not the licensed. Everything now rebuilds correctly. Now I've reached a point in the console where it wants to reset the DB again. It asks "Reset Database and perform initial setup tasks? (y/n)" I see this code in the program.cs file and it seems to want reset the DB again. The only problem is that when I type in "y" for yes to tell it to perform the reset, it does nothing but say "Resetting Database..." Here's a screenshot.

Top 10 Contributor
1,905 Posts

Interesting - I tested the DEMO too - I wonder if your .zip was corrupted on download somehow.

If the console hangs at this location the ConnectionString.config file in the 'Configuration' project is incorrect.

If you say 'n' to this question, and 'n' to the next question, you will see the AN version, and then the console will hang like it is for you currently.

If the ConnectionString is incorrect, how could the tutorial be improved to make this step clearer?

Also, glad to know you have it building!  Big Smile

::Mike

3. Include screenshots.

Top 75 Contributor
7 Posts

All seems to be working at this point. The tutorial could be improved by letting the developer know what project and file the ConnectionString is stored in, and having him/her double check that file to make sure that the settings for the ConnectionString is correct. I had to manually enter my database name in because it was not there. I took for granted that the DB connection wizard in VS 2010  would do this for me and it didn't. Glad the issue is resolved.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
An Open Source C# web crawler with Lucene.NET search using SQL 2008/2012/CE

copyright 2004-2017, arachnode.net LLC