arachnode.net
An Open Source C# web crawler with Lucene.NET search using SQL Server 2005/2008/CE An Open Source C# web crawler with Lucene.NET search using MongoDB/RavenDB/Hadoop
Mongo/Raven/MySQL/Hadoop Does arachnode.net scale? | VS2008/2010/2012 & SQL2008/2012 | Download the latest release

Another getting started Question

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
2 Posts
squip posted on Fri, Aug 28 2009 2:22 AM

Hi there,

First of all - please excuse me for asking dumb questions but for some reason I cannot get this working like the rest of the community.

I am deploying arachnode for a college project demonstrating the usage of web crawlers alongside databases. I have installed it completely and the program will compile however - I am not sure how to configure it.

Am I required to configure using the SQL tables only or do I edit the configuration project > ApplicationSettings.cs?

Ok time for another question: When the application compiles it will run a web application. When I try to execute this application I get a directory view of  [arachnode.net root]\web - should this be displaying the demonstration page (just like on this website?)

I thank you for your help - I hope I am not wasting too much of your time :)

Regards,
Patrick
(New Zealand)

(also is the descriptions missing on the documentation page?)

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
1,751 Posts

You'll need to edit cfg.Configuration, cfg.CrawlActions and/or cfg.CrawlRules.

If you see the directory view then you haven't selected a startup page (Search.aspx) - StartupPage is a solution option, which I don't check in because your breakpoints are not my breakpoints (and other options) and vice versa... :)

Which documentation page are you referring to?

MAIN INSTALLATION DOCUMENTATION LINK: http://arachnode.net/Content/InstallationInstructions.aspx

Mike

For best service when you require assistance:

1. Check the DisallowedAbsoluteUris and Exceptions tables first.
  2. Cut and paste actual exceptions from the Exceptions table.
  3. Include screenshots.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
1,751 Posts

You'll need to edit cfg.Configuration, cfg.CrawlActions and/or cfg.CrawlRules.

If you see the directory view then you haven't selected a startup page (Search.aspx) - StartupPage is a solution option, which I don't check in because your breakpoints are not my breakpoints (and other options) and vice versa... :)

Which documentation page are you referring to?

MAIN INSTALLATION DOCUMENTATION LINK: http://arachnode.net/Content/InstallationInstructions.aspx

Mike

3. Include screenshots.

Top 150 Contributor
2 Posts
squip replied on Fri, Aug 28 2009 5:04 PM

Hay Mike,

Thanks for the swift reply - I had a look in those table and until I can get this going I am happy enough with the default settings. But  I am still having a hard time getting this going (I feel silly)

SO I un commented your code within the test crawl block in Program.CS but I still cannot get this to run - it looks exactly like it does in the screenshot. I was under the impression it would insert a row into crawlrequests (since I cant really manually do this)

Another silly Question - How do I go about checking in the startup page -  IF I can get this going It would be great to have an example search engine running for my project.

As for the documentation, http://arachnode.net:8081/ the descriptions are missing (or is this meant to be like this?)

Regards,

Patrick

Top 10 Contributor
1,751 Posts

I bet your SQL connection is hanging... check the first call to GetVersion in Crawler.cs...

/// <summary>
        /// Checks for exceptions.
        /// </summary>
        private void CheckForExceptions()
        {
            ArachnodeDataSet.VersionDataTable versionDataTable = _arachnodeDAO.GetVersion();

Here's how to set the Start Page:

Documentation, yes - they are supposed to be blank - supposed to remind me to add them.  Big Smile  AN really needs a small book as every so often I'll forget how something works - yes, there is a lot arachnode.net can do... Smile

You can insert rows into the table directly - I HIGHLY recommend using the API tho - ArachnodeDAO.InsertCrawlRequest(...);

Mike

3. Include screenshots.

Top 10 Contributor
1,751 Posts

Also, I'm fixing some "less-than-minor" things that user:megetron found - so, please get the latest from the trunk and check back often.  :)

3. Include screenshots.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
An Open Source C# web crawler with Lucene.NET search using SQL 2005/2008/CE

copyright 2004-2014, arachnode.net LLC